Ok -- making progress I think.  In the fetchmail configuration editor I
found where it ask you to tell it the "local delivery agent".  So I put
"sendmail" in there.  Then when I test fetchmail it can not find sendmail.
Turns out that I don't have access to sendmail as user, but it is in my
path when I am root.

Can someone tell me if this is normal?  I assume (oh that word) that the
user has to be able to access sendmail for this to work, so what is the
proper way to make this happen?  Is it a matter of changing file
permissions on sendmail, or copying it to the user bin directory, or is
there a better way to achieve this result?

Does it have anything to do with the groups I am a member of?  My user
account is in the following groups:
audio
cdrom
cdwriter
disk
floppy
games
mail
nobody
popusers (i'm guessing this relates to POP mail?)
postfix
pppusers (i'm guessing this relates to PPP connections?)
skippi
users

Thanks Peter
-- Skippi