On Tuesday 05 February 2002 20:19, you wrote:
> Well I found out why I had to buy SuSE 7.3 instead of downloading trying
> out first
> before I buy that's because it's no good. During installation it locked
> numerous times;
> had to finish the install in safe mode just so I could get to the
> desktop, it can't detect
> monitors and is very buggy once up and running. No more SuSE for me.
>
> Redmond (Lycoris) and Redhat are close seconds so I don't buy. Mandrake
> is what I
> keep buying each and every time a  PowerPack comes outs.
>
> Dwaine
Dwaine:
You found nothing out. There are some differences, SuSE does not make a iso
image available, but everything is there for you to download and create one
even the instruction. SuSE telephone tech support though more limited than
Mandrake actually gets problems solved, Mandrakes does not. SuSE email
support does generate answers, speed of reply is about the same as Mandrake
two weeks, Mandrake does not solve any problems as the experts have no
knowledge, on one install problem, I got an answer that said, I have no
knowledge of this device install area, but here are some basic sites, hope
this helps. There were no further answers forth coming. The install for my
scanner is still broke, IMHO Mandrakes Expert is a joke and they should be
sued for false advertising. That said.

I have bought every Mandrake Power Pack for years and found them to be
unstable, and do not work. They get replaced with the latest SuSE
professional release which I also buy and have for the same length of time as
I have Mandrake.

On the equipment I have had over the last couple of years Mandrake has always
been unstable and has had more install problems than SuSE, so SuSE usually is
the one to keep for me. That said most of the equipment is standard PC and
checked to see if it Linux Supported.

Mandrake has more fonts and the printer support is better, margins are
properlay set and in general Print output is twice as good as SuSE's. SuSE on
the other hand has better support of KDE, Gnome, and XFree86 when they update
in the middle of release cycle. You can always find rpm's and source rpms for
each supported release and those are updated as bugs need fixing with the
packages. Mandrake on the other hand will only produce one for the next
version in cooker requiring  much more dependencies issues the further away
you are from the current release.

I have seen Mandrake make continuing strides in getting more stable and
install routines that work. Both have similar problems and have made their
share of mistakes, Mandrake with devfs, SuSE with enabled apic.

My bottom line is that they are both very nearly equal. My experience shows
SuSE to be slightly more stable. I encourage both distributions to continue
to work on stability and install issues.

- --

Ralph
- --
It said uses Windows 98 or better so I installed SuSE 7.3
Proud user of SuSE 7.3 Professional
Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234
GPG Public Key available at http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = 6426 1CFF 0987 9D51 76D6  06BC F22A CFF4 559A 03E7