On Friday 04 October 2002 12:28 pm, David Guntner wrote:
<surgical snips>

> It's over a year old, though I can't say exactly *how* old - a HP CD-Witer
> Plus 8100i.  The thing burns CD-RWs at 2X speed and CD-Rs at 4X.
>
> That's a good suggestion and I'm glad you made it.  It never occurred to me
> that this might be fixable by way of a firmware update.  I just went
> through the nightmare that's HP's website and HP's phone (lack of) support,
> and found that the only firmware update I can get to on their site is for
> version 1.0g - which, unfortunately, my Windows device manager properties
> page shows is already *in* the burner.  No one I talked to at HP support
> was able to help me in any way, and because the burner is old enough to be
> out of warranty now, I'd have to pay $25 to talk to a "real" tech.  And I
> refuse to fork over $25 just to have a tech tell me that there's no other
> firmware available.  From what I can find at HP's website, it doesn't look
> like they noticed that that model can't handle the larger media.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, though.
>
>                     --Dave

You've very welcome Dave; even though I'm sorry there was no help in the
suggestion. I just 'Googled' the burner in question (yours) and didn't see a
thing that leaped out as help for you at all. Damn!

I still wish you luck though. I guess I can't complain about my Mitsumi any
more; since it seems it's older than the HP you have and burns almost any
bleedin' ISO (or anything else) at rated maximum (4x4x24) using whatever disk
is available. CD-R or CD-RW. When I bought it the burner was cheaper ($349
Canadian $ than the Plextors and HPs that were available) by $70. I think
'bargain' is an accurate now somehow. :-)

While going back through the data and links I saved when I updated the
firmware the first time I clicked the link to Mitsumi's support site and
found another update to take care of the device not being able to read/write
CD-RWs larger than 650 MB.

So thanks for the spur! You helped _me_ by asking the questions you did, and
by making me think about an agravation that I had. :-)
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada