On Wednesday 29 January 2003 09:54 am, Chuck Burns wrote:
> On Wed, January 29 2003 8:43 am, tarvid wrote:
> *snip*
>
> > Bush chooses internationalism when it suits him.
> >
> > He scuttled Kyoto, ABM and the Biological weapons protocols and ignores
> > the Viena and Geneva conventions.
>
> So, you think implementing a system that protects US citizens from ICMBs is
> a bad thing? Come down off your high horse.

He did not say that it was a bad thing, he stated simply that this constitutes
a breach of the ABM treaty.

> Also, when was the last time we broke the Geneva convention? The last war
> was in Desert Storm, and did we torture any of those Iraqi soldiers that
> surrendered without firing a shot? No, I don't think we did. We have ALWAYS
> treated enemy soldiers as well, or better, than the Geneva convention
> states, EVEN when our enemies did not, such as was the case in Vietnam,
> where our troops were torturted with electric shock.

The USA government torture(d/s) many of the detainees from the war in
Afghanistan. They do this with the justification that it is necessary in
order to prevent further attacks on the USA, and that these people are not
really prisoners of war anyway. (I'll leave it to you to decide whether
someone captured in the War in Afghanistan is a prisoner of war or not.)

>I had a
> doctor-friend, who was a medic back in the Vietnam war, who was captured,
> during a VC raid on a hospital compound..  They beat him so severely that,
> to this day, he speaks with a weak and raspy voice almost like a whisper,
> because his larynx was nearly destroyed, but he is still a good doctor.
> We never SIGNED kyoto, because it was nothing more than a ploy to LOOK GOOD
> to ecologists.

The real reason that it was not signed by the USA government was that it
imposed environmental regulation upon its corporations and was therefore a
danger to profits made by raping the environment. Do you honestly think that
if Kyoto was really "nothing more than a ploy to LOOK GOOD to ecologists."
that the USA government, on behalf of its corporations would not be the very
first to sign such a convention.

>The WORST polluting countries are the 3rd world countries
> with NO environmental protection agencies, and the Kyoto treaty left them
> alone, so, of course we didn't sign it.

There are two ways to measure how polluting a country is:

1. Measuring the tons of pollutants emitted by that country.
2. Measuring the tons of pollutants emitted by that country and dividing it by
the size of the population.

The USA is among the top pollutants under method 1., but is frankly off the
chart under method 2. The statistics are further complicated by the fact that
American corporations engage in polluting abroad, which does not get measured
into the amount for the USA, while the actual money resulting from this
activity is shipped to the USA.

If I have not been clear enough in this email about how the USA government is
simply the executive of large american corporations, I present you with the
following news story in an area that we all (on this list) should be
knowledgeable about: Free Software. This article details how the USA
government in a meeting of _Asian_ countries twisted the proceeding such that
there would not be an official notice of support for open source software:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/01/15/030115hnwsisos_1.html
(http://www.pigdog.org/auto/digital_gar_gar_gar/link/2781.html)

Sascha Noyes

- --