On May 5, 2009, at 8:46 PM, sparaig wrote:

>> You know it's funny, someone posted some old MMY lecture videos on
>> YouTube, so I decided to watch one to see how it stood the test of
>> time.
>>
>> I watched the one on yoga (and it's limbs) and found it really didn't
>> stand the test of time. In fact in terms of authentic lineal yoga
>> teachings, he was flat out WRONG. The most noticeable thing however
>> was his use of repetition. I used to parse it as 'he wants to really
>> get the point across' but listening to it now, one gets the sense
>> he's just acting and trying to come up with something convincing to
>> say. Unfortunately, if you had any real training in Patanjali, it was
>> easy to see he was just making up something new and convincing and
>> the droning repetition made it sound "profound".
>>

> As I said, we agree to disagree...
>
> Or, to quote a famous anonymous sage: there are as many legitimate i
> interpretations of the Veda as there are enlightened persons.

Unfortunately this is one area where the sages of the yoga-darshana
(not "the Veda") are in agreement. Generally the type of people who
subvert the angas are what would in western languages be referred to
as "black magicians" or in theosophical lingo "black brothers": give
me the magic, let me circumvent the virtues, they will come on their
own, just give me power, NOW.