--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@...> wrote:

> The whole gunas thing for me, means there is no reason to
> assume that a guru's actions are better than mine.  The
> gunas somehow put us all on equal footing, since they make
> all of us do all of it anyway. If you buy into the whole
> guna idea (I know you don't any longer, I am 50-50 on it)...

That's really my whole point in "chiming in," wayback.
So MANY people buy into "the guna idea," which means in
my opinion that they're buying into the idea of being
"Not Responsible" (as the Firesign Theater guys used
to say) for their own actions.

They WANT "the guna thing" to be true, because if it is,
then someone/something ELSE other than themselves is in
charge of the universe, and hopefully knows what they're
doing, and has a Plan.

I honestly don't believe that. I don't believe that there
is any intelligence that guides the universe or that is
capable of having a Plan for it. As I see it, what happens
in the universe is the sum total of all of the individual
actions made by all of the individual sentient beings in
it -- no "guidance" behind it, no "Plan" behind it, just
karma plus free will. I *get off* on the idea of karma
plus free will being the Operating System of the universe.

Others don't seem to see things that way. They prefer to
believe that someone/something other than themselves runs
things. Cool, I guess. If they want to believe that God,
or "Nature" or the "three gunas" or Big Daddy In The Sky
really run everything and that all they are is mere puppets
acting out the Grand Plan, and they get off on *that*,
more power to them.

I jumped into this whole thing for one reason and one reason
only. People were talking about the "three gunas" and the
"fact" that they really run everything and that gurus (and
everyone else) are mere non-doing puppets AS IF ALL OF
THESE THINGS WERE FACTS, and could be assumed.

They're not. They are theories. And theories that force one
to deny their own experience in life to believe in them.