--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> RESPONSE: Barry was giving it to Robin with both barrels. [Curtis to Judy]
>
> Well, my friend, this *is* bullshit. Because it implies some equivalence of
engagement and honesty and sincerity.

ME: No it doesn't. It means he went after you enthusiastically. It denies the
possibility for any "equivalence of engagement and honesty and sincerity:.

Robin2: "Enthusiastically": I reject this word as applying to Barry in any way
whatsoever. What about "douchebaggery", Curtis? Is that a word you would ever
consider in the context of describing Barry's reaction to Robin? Think about
it. Shit, man, if I ever felt "enthusiasm" in Barry's response to me, no matter
how negative it was, I would rejoice. Did you hear that, Curtis? I would
rejoice. Now tell me once again: "It means he went after you
enthusiastically"—unless you are using that word in its most pejoratively
connotative sense.

Robin1 Barry has scrupulously avoided any real contact with me, so as to
demonstrate he is willing to stand behind what he says. "Barry was giving it to
Robin with both barrels". No, Curtis, Barry was "giving it to Robin" in a form
of scattershot carelessness and impetuous pique which could never be understood
by any honest bystander as "giving it to me with both barrels".

ME: OK if that characterization works better for you. I guess we have a
different view of what the analogy "both barrels" implies. For me it is full-on
aggression.

Robin2: "Full-on aggression". Again a terrible and inaccurate characterization
of what Barry did when he criticized me. Tell me one thing, Curtis (hey, I'm
always doing this, n'est-pas?): did Barry *ever* say anything by way of
criticizing me which indicated he was willing to answer to that criticism; that
is, stand behind it? Did he demonstrate in his silence he was confident about
what he said such that further discussion was pointless? Barry would never get
caught in "full-on aggression". I invite him to deal with me with "full-on
aggression". WTF are you doing here, Curtis? You are aiding and abetting Barry
in being arrested in his post-Frederick Lenz fall-out, something which he does
not understand, but  which he is, in my estimation, a victim of. Don't get it,
Curtis; don't get it at all.

Robn1: F**k me. I *wish* Barry would give it to me with both barrels. But he
never
will, Curtis.

ME: You are including more in the metaphor than I did. I don't know why you are
taking me to task for having a slightly different take on what "both barrels"
includes.

Robin2: "Enthusiastically and full-on aggression"—this ain't no metaphor.

Robin1: Now look: I take back nothing of what I have just said in that letter;
I will
only say that this invidious (and implied) comparison is baffling to me.

ME: I didn't say it was justified, I meant it was enthusiastic. Obviously
given the difference in our interactions I didn't agree with his take on you.
But it was both forceful and hostile which is what the image of both barrels
means to me.

Robin2: Give me an instance where Barry's criticism of Robin—his characteristic
ones—are "forceful". If they are forceful they have the chance to be true. And
that very much interests me. No, your responses to me are forceful. If I felt
the 'force' of Barry's critiques of me, I would have to respect what he was
saying, even if I chose not to believe it.
"Enthusiasm" again: well this for me is the conduction of something which, at
least in intention, is positive. I have not felt Barry's enthusiasm. Has anyone
else out there felt this? Oops! shouldn't be asking that question: I am likely
to get both barrels.

Robin1: Just out with it: Stand behind this one declarative statement:
"Although I
like both of them, in my judgment Barry is giving it to Robin in principle at
least the same way Robin is giving it to Barry."

ME: I think he took an instant dislike to you and spent some time expressing it.
I don't believe that his initial attack was warranted and it put you in a weird
defensive posture. You tried to work with it to get past that hostility but it
did not work. Barry is not going to budge about his initial negative assessment
of you no matter what you respond with. So the two barrels don't imply that
there is a balance in how you have related to each other. He went after you and
I believe you found it perplexing at first. But now that you know who you are
dealing with you can decide how much attention to spend on interactions with
him. This is a plant that will not grow without water.

Robin2; On one level I accept this. Because I do recall his initial negative
adjudication of my posts was devoid of affect or screwy venom. "It put you in a
weird defensive posture". True. But not such that it distorted or perversely
influenced the way I countered his criticism. I wanted to draw him out; he
refused to do this. And I know, unless you were dissembling big time with me,
you were in accordance with my perception and analysis of Barry. Barry,—I
resisted his criticism of me, Curtis, not out of defensiveness as such; more
out of perplexity and confoundment, *since Barry never gave any evidence of the
experience within him that gave rise to his criticism of me*. I certainly was
not quarrelling with his right to lambaste me in any way he chose; what was
more than disappointing was his subsequent failure to make contact with
anything real inside of him out of which he was inspired to say what he was
saying. Barry has never gone toe-to-toe with anyone. And  wonder why this is. I
don't even think he realizes how carefully and punctiliously he avoids any real
contact sport intellectually. No, Curtis, I don't understand one thing: Why
don't you make Barry minimally accountable for his judgments. We all have
persons who dislike us, or dislike our philosophies; that's a given. What sets
Barry apart—and this is said in mercy and compassion—yes, I really mean this—is
that he quarantines himself off from those whom he dislikes. There can never be
any *movement* in all this. Barry is a sniper who flees once he's got his shot
off—which often wildly misses the bull's eye (even as he acts in his sullenness
and (puerile) smugness as he has hit the target). "He went after you and I
believe you found it perplexing at first". Perplexing only insofar, Curtis, as
he didn't appear to be lining me up in his cross-hairs.

But maybe Barry is my best and truest critic. And he is martyring himself by
refusing to bring out his sword. I will try to treat him like some Don Juan
incognito character a la Carlos Castaneda. The enemy who is loving me in his
silence. What do I not know about Barry that you know, Curtis, which would help
me to explain your stance here? Do you think it all comes down to: Robin can't
take it? Barry has never done the noble or honest thing in his negative
reaction to me—and how about this, Curtis: I defy you to interpret his
criticism of me such as to truly make it possible for you to believe he is
experiencing this reaction to me in a way that is truthful to who he really is.

But perhaps I am even wrong about *this*. Maybe I could ask you, Curtis: Can
you conceive of some way that I could ingratiate myself with Barry such that he
would lay off of me?

Robin1:Then I shall believe that you believe what you say to Judy here, that
"Barry
was giving it to Robin with both barrels".

ME: I also believe that he was not interacting with you so much as an impression
he gleaned about how you operate connected with his experience of people
(especially leaders) in spiritual groups. You got pied. It is disconcerting I
know. But in my view he was giving it to you with both barrels of hostility.

Robin2: I hate this response, Curtis, because it implies that my posts at FFL
reeked of cult leader pride and didacticism. I deny this is the case. You
infuriate me, Curtis, with your tactics here: you were determined to go down
with the ship; never once paying *any* attention to the intrinsic justice of
Barry's maneuvers with me. Why do you implicitly refuse to reveal your own
estimation—intellectually, psychologically—of the validity of Barry's remarks
about me, nor the style in which he expresses them.

I think you have finally flummoxed me on this one, Curtis; and I should just
surrender the field to you. But one last question: What is it about me which
causes me to fail to register the higher truth that you obviously are on
contact with in your argument on behalf of Barry? Because I am resisting
something here, which you are not resisting. Ergo, my resistance is debarring
me from insight. Has to be true.
:

Robin1:Barry will have loved that you said that, Curtis, but I know *for a
fact* that
this is not your true judgment of what Barry is doing when he goes off on Robin.

> Must it come to this kind of politics?

ME: I think you read too much into the metaphor. It was not meant to give
Barry a chuckle but to sum up how I saw his hostile approach to you. Would it
help if I characterized it as mean? But I don't need to chase after Barry with
my opinion, he knows what he was doing.

Robin2; "But I don't need to chase after Barry with my opinion, he knows what
he was doing." NO. HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING.
And that is the whole problem. Just like Frederick Lenz didn't know quite what
he was doing. If I even got the tinge of sensing: Barry knows what he was
doing, my whole perplexity here, Curtis, would vanish. Please reiterate this,
because if it is true in any objective sense, it means I am the guy with the
problem. Not Barry,

You, despite my unyielding (and positive) conclusion as expressed in that last
letter to you (today's first post), nonplus me. I think I am just not up to the
moves that you make—all sincere, obviously. But you are just one step ahead of
me I think, Curtis. If I were to accord you any real credibility here—as you
attempt to inform me of my blindness—it would mean that my whole way of going
about my life is flawed, and I am one big happy ignoramus.

I am going to have to listen to you play your music after this. Just to regain
a proper perspective. I get it, Curtis: Barry and Robin have the same
motivation, the same principle of argumentation, and the same level of candour
in their judgments. Fine. I think I finally am there.

Robin1: No matter. My letter stands—but so does my post to Judy.

> If I were you, Curtis, I would, in my off-line correspondence with Barry, risk
edifying him about how he comes off here at FFL.

ME: Barry and I rarely discuss FFL. We are usually working on such different
tracks here. I have long conversations with Judy and you and he would rather
grill his genitals on a Hibachi than engage in either discussions. I am only
concerned with how we relate, not how he chooses to relate to others. I am not
interested in getting involved in a no win situation getting between people who
don't like each other or who (in this case) Barry has taken an instant dislike
to. The way you and I have communicated is enough information about who we both
are for people to make a more informed decision about us. That is good enough
for me. I can't make anyone read anything or see what I see in people.

Robin2: Look, Curtis; let me sum it all up: For you Barry's existential dignity
is the same as mine, the same as Judy's, the same as yours. His intellectual
and moral deportment does not in any way make him the subject of criticism. He
is as fair, as honest, as sincere in what he likes and what he dislikes as you
are. I understand this finally.

I just hope he appreciates what kind of ultimate endorsement you have given him
here in your conversation with me. I hope you will defend me (if I earn your
tentative trust once more) as doggedly and as unwavering as you have Barry
should I criticize someone here at FFL and then refuse to substantiate or
demonstrate the validity of such criticism.

"he would rather grill his genitals on a Hibachi than engage in either
discussions" (you with me, you with Judy). Well, maybe he is onto something,
Curtis. Maybe our dialogues are deserving of the contempt and aversion that
characterizes Barry's response. I think this is a very subtle cop-out, because
I think, for any normal, intelligent, sensitive human being those conversations
between us were worth reading. This is how it all comes down then, Curtis:
Barry's revulsion vis-a-vis our long posts may be just s true as our enthusiasm
for carrying on with them. It makes me think: what if Barry is right?

But I will never get through to you, Curtis. I take my stand in my letter to
you (first post of today). And I choose to leave it there.

Robin1::Meanwhile I shall just trust in the wisdom which makes you say what you
say
here to which I have responded.

ME: Thanks for the response. I am still processing it all.

Robin: Looks as if Barry has finally come between us. Funny, that. Barry, you
have wrested Curtis from my grasp. I think this a good thing.

And by the way, Barry: at the end of this whole thing, I realize: Curtis *must*
be right in his defence of you. And I hope you appreciate what it has cost him
in time and energy.

He is a faithful friend [to you]. I doubt if I will start up my Hibachi after
this. I wish, though, Curtis had not referred to "genitals". If you know what I
mean.