If my understanding about this is correct:

 With mantra yoga, what is minded is the mantra.
 With TM, the 'mindfulness' of the mantra as a focus is minimised by the
technique which reduces greatly the tendency to concentrate or effort.

 The idea is contact with something or somewhere you are not, that is with
something transcendent to what you currently think you are.

 With mindfulness, what is minded is the current state of experience, but not
all mindfulness methods are focused, with some, if you just happen notice these
things going on around you, you don't mind, and focus is minimised. Coming back
to the breath much in the same way one handles the mantra in TM serves a
similar function in these minimalist concentrative mindfulness methods.

 Mindfulness assumes that the current state of experience is the reality, that
it is immanent and pervasive and not transcendent. In other words, the mantra
versions of meditation assume you are ignorant of this, while the mindfulness
versions of meditation assume you are already the reality of life and nothing
need be done. The POV differences in these approaches can have a significant
effect on how one thinks about and approaches 'enlightenment'. That so many
attempt and fail at all these approaches indicates that no particular method or
philosophy is a sterling example of a single superior approach to resolving the
issue.

 My own experience also indicates that as a practice matures, experiences
during meditation undergo long term shifts, so that we cannot assume that it is
always going to continue to generally work the way it did in the beginning,
when usually we are a bit more invested and intrigued by something new in our
lives. For me, TM is not, as Buck would say 'transcending meditation'. There is
no longer any hint of the idea or experience of something I would call
transcendence now. It was a useful concept when I started out, but now it seems
like an ancient myth. TM and mindfulness now are pretty much the same to me.
There is a convergence.

 Barry had posted some time ago a report about research that indicates that
natural language metaphors covertly influence reasoning, that is, for example,
the way we speak of our approach to this thing we call self-realisation',
'enlightenment', 'god-realisation', warps our mind in a certain direction and
this can affect our approach, understanding, and practice to these spiritual
disciplines that we currently practise, have abandoned, or bitch about. In my
own case I found the continued insistence within TM of reaching subtle levels
etc., eventually became a major barrier. I almost forgot why I originally
started on the spiritual trek which came about from an experience of immanence,
not transcendence.

 If you think there is a 'self' and a 'Self', rather than a 'Void' and 'no
self', this can have a profound effect on experience and interpretation, as can
a belief in God rather than thinking there is no such thing as God. My own
practices, while initially they were intellectually informed by various Western
and Eastern traditions, essentially became atheistic over time, but it still
worked out fine. But that this worked out for me does not mean applying the
same stance would work for someone with a different temperament, with a
different initial set of conditioned behaviours and conditioned thinking
patterns.

 So as to whatever practice you are engaged with, whatever tradition etc., if
any, what you hear and how it is presented to you can have a significant effect
on the practice as your experience evolves, and can be an aid or a barrier to
further progress depending. Because traditions are basically cultural and
behavioural ruts, I think it is a liability to put all one's eggs in one
basket. A healthy degree of scepticism, curiosity - the will to find out - can
become very important, in other words, do not expect enlightenment to be handed
to you on a golden platter, without some initiative and independent
intelligence on your part. So if the Master, the Priest, the Organisation, or
whatever, puts the doggy bowl in front of you and you lap it up unthinkingly,
you get what you deserve.

 This also has relevance to the idea of 'not deluding the ignorant'; because
the 'ignorant' are deluded anyway, it really does not matter that much what
might be said to them. So hiding a particular view about how 'the enlightened'
experience life may not be necessary at all, since no matter what you say it
will be misunderstood. There should always be a way to express the full range
of human experience in a way the both intrigues and captivates people without
the need to hide things from them. As a spiritual organisation ages, its
priesthood tends to hold back the gems of useful knowledge about development of
experience, kind of as a self preservation issue. If reality is all pervasive,
the only thing that is, then how in fact could it be hid?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 TM isn't a mindfulness practice in any typical sense of the word used by
meditation practitioners, and by anyone else, for that matter.

 ... other than people who just tack it on and say "TM is mindfuless" without
thinking things through (I've done this myself, so I'm pointing more fingers
inward than outward, here).