With a purely mental practice, it is impossible to separate the practice, from
teh way it was taught, so claiming that something else is "TM" merely because
it can be described the same way, is a very big intellectual failure.

 Samatha practices can be described the same way as TM, but the way they are
taught, they are certainly in the mainstream of "focused attention" practices,
and the EEG signature reflects this.

 TM, on the other hand, is described as mind-wandering, taught in terms of
mind-wandering, and the theoretical explanation for how it works is also in
terms of mind-wandering.

 Not surprisingly, the EEG signature of TM is very similar to the EEG signature
of mind-wandering, albeit "more so."

 But Curtis, you already have some big filters: one, and imo the most
significant one, that it's preferable to come to a new experience as filter
free as possible. Shouldn't we challenge this belief too?

And two, don't you already have some significant filters about mindfulness
simply from reading about it here and elsewhere? Not to mention, from all your
experiences and beliefs around TM?

 And Richard, how can we possibly separate belief and practice completely? I
don't think we can simply because we don't live our lives with our heads cut
off from our bodies!

 On Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:39 PM, "curtisdeltablues@..."