On 27.6.2002 15:04, "Andrew Stiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> And music notation itself was invented by government employees
>>> responding to a governmental mandate originating at the very highest
>>> level.
>>> --
>>> Andrew Stiller
>>
>> Guido d'Arezzo was a government employee?
>>
>> John
>>

> Guido d'Arezzo did not invent music notation, however yes, he was a
> government employee, just like every other Mediaeval churchman.

Guido d'Arezzo introduced the syllables *ut re mi fa sol la* as names
for the tones *c-a*. Later *ut* was replaced with *do*  and *si*
(now *ti*) added to complete the octave. Now we have a kind of
notation, which we migth say Guido d'Arezzo invented, but a very
limited one because written down you only see height but not length
of tones.

Cortez