At 6:45 PM -0500 9/23/02, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
>Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>
>  > Hmm, doing the lyrics last might be an example of changing one's work
>>  habits to suit the computer. Often when I am composing to a given set
>>  of lyrics, I set the lyrics in the measures first, then the rhythms,
>>  then the noteheads. I can't do this in Finale, as the lyrics always
>>  have to come AFTER the entries.
>
>Sorry to be so pedantic, but the lyrics don't have to come after _THE_
>entries, just after SOME_ entries, so you could define a blank system to
>have a meter signature of 1 / 1, run the "convert to real whole notes"
>plug in, change the meter to 20 / 1, selecting "rebar music", and type in
>your lyrics, assigning the each syllable of the lyrics to a whole rest,
>then convert the rests to the rhythms  you uncover in the text by
>changing the duration of each rest, and finally add the pitches.
>
>Don't forget to save often.
>
>ns

Not a bad idea, and I hate to shoot down an excellent suggestion, but
there are some other problems with that.

First of all, it takes several more operations to accomplish what you
suggest, while doing it all "Finale's way" from a pencil copy is more
efficient. Changing rests to notes takes an extra keystroke for every
note, which can add up over the course of a whole piece.

Second of all, (and nothing anyone can do will be able to change this
part) when I am working with the computer I tend to be in "editor
mode", thinking about the computer and how to communicate with it,
instead of thinking about the music. With a pencil I am so
comfortable now after 20 or more years that the difference between
the idea and the mark on the paper is as small as it is possible to
be, whereas with the computer a portion of my brain's CPU is taken up
with operating the computer, and I tend to think that making the
music look good is the same as making it sound good.

It may sound as if I am taking back my original statement; if I never
have the intention of working that way, why criticize the fact that I
can't? The answer is that I know others compose and arrange directly
into Finale, and they probably have modified or developed their modus
operandi to make writing directly into Finale as painless as
possible. But they will never be able to add an articulation in
Finale as easily as I do with a pencil, whenever it occurs to me. One
has to change tools, select the proper marking, etc, which is several
operations more than 'dot' with a pencil when I want to remember that
I need that note short. Obviously, I pay for it by needing to mark
each and every one manually, whereas if I wait for the editing stage
in Finale I can add them all at once in every part that needs it,
with much less effort.

It isn't JUST the lyrics, it's everything about Finale that keeps me
from arranging directly into it. It isn't like typing, where I can
type without capitals, punctuation, or paying attention to grammar
and spelling and clean it all up afterwards. What I enter into Finale
is relatively difficult to edit if I don't enter it correctly the
FIRST time, so I make sure I know exactly what I'm doing BEFORE I sit
down at the computer.