At 3:48 PM -0400 9/23/02, David W. Fenton wrote:

>Try this:
>
>Create a new document, and input 4 quarter notes.
>
>With TYPE IN SCORE, put in Hal-le-lu-jah as the lyrics
>
>Now, go to the le syllable, and change it to "le,".
>
>Then change the "lu" to "Deutsch-" and the "jah" to "land."
>
>You'll see that you have a leftover hyphen that is actually not
>redundant -- it doesn't belong there at all. In edit lyrics, you'll
>see that the stray hyphen that used to be attached to the "le" of
>hallelujah is now appended to the beginning of "Deutsch," and there
>is no way in TYPE IN SCORE to get rid of it. You *must* edit the
>lyrics in the EDIT LYRICS window.
>
>Since you do click assignment, you'd never see this.

Yes, most of us know about that feature... err, umm, I suppose that
qualifies as a bug. Actually, that is WHY we use click assignment, to
avoid problems like this in the Type Into Score feature. You are
absolutely right, that the tool behaves badly, and we have simply
opted to waltz around the problem. Same for "voices", I learned here
on the list never to touch them, and to use layers instead, even
though it is one of the first topics in the tutorials. I learned
about the "misuse" of verses here on the list too, and it worked, so
I gave up complaining. I also gave up complaining about the size of
the Chord Suffix Edit window, the fact that I can't add a chord
symbol anywhere in the measure I like without adding and hiding an
entry in another layer, about how I had to re-jig my whole working
procedure to suit the darn computer, and a number of other things.