On 28 Jan 2005 at 2:01, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2005, at 2:21 AM, d. collins wrote:
>
> >> For what it's worth, I guess my preference would be that the Finale
> >> List archives remain google-able, but it's only a slight
> >> preference. It's not something that I care about enough to lobby
> >> for.
> >
> > Why Google, since it's possible to have searchable archives without
> > making them public?
>
> Well, I suppose the answer to your question is that I like the idea of
> them being public.  In general, I think sharing of information is a
> good thing, and Google is a better way of sharing with everyone.  As
> for privacy, I don't think of this list as being private at all; I
> think of it as public.  That is probably due to my extensive
> experience with the Usenet and various Web-based forums, where
> everything is surely very public.

I really agree with all of that. My only request of a public archive
is that email addresses should be obfuscated so that spammers can't
harvest them. If that can't be done, then no archive should be
public.

> But as I said before, it's not something I'm lobbying for.  I'm happy
> for the Finale archives to be stored or not stored however the
> community as a whole prefers.

I've barely ever used the archives, as I don't find the information
in them to be helpful -- it's usually too dated, or the discussions
too convoluted to follow after the fact.