Darcy James Argue wrote:

I will repeat, for not the first time, that I do not understand the rationale for anyone leaving "Automatically Update Layout" off.

Here is mine: Finale has a bug in how it relates to plugins and you can avoid that bug by turning off AUL. Specifically, any plugin that needs to determine page layout info, such as which system and/or page a measure may be on, does not work reliably if AUL is on. That includes, specifically, my Beam Over Barlines plugin and others.

I also leave it off because it caused a significant performance hit the last time I experimented with it. With a large orch. score of several dozen pages it was a noticable lag. This was admittedly a previous computer and I'd be surprised if that was still much of an issue, but I've become so used to working without AUL that I never have a problem with it. Learn to hit the keyboard shortcut for UL often.

David's concern that excessive updating could cause fragmentation is probably not warranted. This is based on a plugin-writer's level of knowledge about Finale internals, rather than a Finale developer's. But without boring the list with a a lot of technical specifics, that is my impression.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com