On 17.02.2009 David W. Fenton wrote:
There is simply no excuse for repeating a system from one page to another. That's a bug. I shouldn't have to update page layout (manually or automatically) just to be sure I don't encounter that bug.

The bug is that auto-layout-update can be disabled in the first place. The only reason this option is still there is that this preserves the was Finale worked pre-auto-layout-update. The reason Finale worked like that was underpowered processing which couldn't cope with the processing power needed to update the layout after every edit.

Again, unless you are working on a vastly underpowered machine, switch the thing on and forget about it.

The other bug is that it actually disables itself from time to time, at least here on my computer. No idea what causes that.