On 17 Feb 2009 at 16:29, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 17.02.2009 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > You snipped the context. I did not claim that automatic layout
> > updating caused that problem, but automatic music spacing *does*
> > cause the problem. And it's only if I had automatic music spacing
> > turned on that the music spacing could have changed without me
> > respacing the music. And that's the only thing that would have
> > possibly required an update layout.
>
> Now I am confused, are you saying you were talking about automatic music
> spacing all along? That's a completely different horse, I would not
> switch that on if someone payed me to do it.

No. I brought up automatic music spacing because someone admonished
me that by changing any notes that the existing layout was somehow
invalidated and needed to be updated just because I changed the
content of some of the measures. The only way I can think that this
would be so would be if I had been working with automatic music
spacing turned on (which I don't), so I can't see any reason why just
changing some of the notes would invalidate the page layout and
necessitate a recalc.

If the changes I'd made had changed the widths of the measures, I
certainly would have respaced the music manually and then updated the
layout manually. But as anyone can clearly see from comparing the two
PDFs, nothing I did changed any of the measure widths, so there was
really no reason at all to need to update the page layout.

But I only brought up automatic music spacing because that's the only
conceivable reason I can think of why page layout could change just
from editing a few notes that don't change any measure widths.