Those with sufficient desk space may want to consider one hardware
alternative to the "problems" being discussed re VCOM:

For digital modes, I am now using two separate computers: One
dedicated to running the SDR-1000 (only) and a second running the
digital program. Only two audio cables and a null modem adapter was
needed to set this up. I have full CAT control, etc. It was far
easier than configuring VAC and VCOM.

I have found this an ideal solution to the problems of program focus
and VAC hiccups that I had  when I first setup PowerSDR in the "popular" mode.

I was able to get a relatively powerful computer for the SDR-1000 - a
2.8GHz dual core P4 by emachines for only $300 AR (typically 10% CPU
utilization with PowerSDRV1.10 and J/O @ 96). The null modem adapter
was a few bucks at Radio Shack and worked perfectly.

Flex-5000C buyers will pay an extra $2000 for this same ease of
configuration. You can have it now, and cheaper.

Jerry W4UK