Norman Vine wrote:

> Erik Hofman writes;
>
>>I've twice committed a patch wich gets audio (sort of) working
>>for Irix
>>(audio realy is crap in plib anyway) but it didn't get
>>included, without
>>a reason, without any notice.
>>

> Erik
>
> Apologies for not checking up on your patch
>
> I just assumed that it got included by one of team that
> uses the sound library.  FYI none of my machines even
> have a sound card so I generally just ignore the SL discussions.
>
> If you resubmit your patch against the current PLib CVS tree
> but with the original PLib names rather then with case changes
> I will make sure that it, or its functional equivalant, gets included
> in Plib before the next relaease.

I don't get this part. You mean the fact that I changed from
alSetChannels to ALsetchannels ?
This has something to do with an API change from SGI. The latter is an
earlier API for sound stuff in Irix, but the I can't even get it to work
with the first (the later API) because of some obscurities.

Okay, I'll sent you a patch  which will get sound (sort of) working.
Sort of because the only way to get sound working on Irix is throw away
half of the buffer data every time ...

> FWIW - If I were to say the heck with projects that didn't accept
> my patches I would gave left FlightGear a LONG time ago.
> ie.  I sent Curt my imageServer patch back in August and never
> heard anymore about it until yesterday  :-))

Well, since plib is claiming Irix compatibility but obviously, but
doesn't apply my patch I drew my own conclusions.
I concider including my patch just as a way to have more time to work on
SDL because the audio part of plib breakes about every rule of computer
controlled sound processing.

1. it doesn't handle endianess correct (if the sound files from
FlightGear were 16-bit I can't even use them!)
2. it doesn't handle singed/unsigned data correct (in fact the data is
converted to the right format just prior to storing it in the buffer
instead of at load time).
3. it uses a single audio buffer, instead of the commonly accepted
dubbel buffering principle.

Changing all this requires a complete rewrite of the audio stuff, while
there are better alternatives. (saves a lot of time you know).

Erik