Curt,

> Does FS2002 ship with the entire world or do you need to download
> portions as add ons as various 3rd party groups make them?

FS200 comes with the whole World in the box. This includes all the main
rivers, lakes, streets (in Germany all Federal streets), coast lines, all
cities (down to perhaps 1000 inhabitants) and a basic mesh (differs I guess,
there are low res areas and high res areas). Resolution of low resolution
mesh may be 300 m (just an estimate, experts may correct me).

It comes with basic land use data which are quite rough but nonetheless give
a quite decent view as borders between tiles are invisible and there are no
noticeable repetitions.

You can buy/download add-on land use data, which are small (based on default
textures, they just tell forest is here and fields are there.) The default
textures provided with FS2002 are not photo-real but synthetic (but very
decent IMHO).

BTW, there are certains areas (i.e. in Germay) where streets/rivers
obviously are misplaced. This means if you buy a better high res mesh (whcih
are available) rivers will flow downhill etc. This is a well-known flaw.
Quite funny.

Regards, Michael

--
        Michael Basler, Jena, Germany