Dave

> Hmm, maybe they've got their co-ordinate systems mixed up?  From memory
> (which I'm not trusting any more!), I seem to recall that a typical
> difference between OSGB36 lat & lon and WGS84 lat & lon is in the order of
> 200m.  Perhaps something along those lines has happened with their data
> somewhere.

The road, stream, lake and coastline data are Digital Chart of the World/VMap0
with very few exceptions, and the mesh data appears to be based on GLOBE.  I
don't think there's been any confusion of co-ordinate systems - they've not used
any local data other than in the immediate vicinity of Heathrow in the UK, and
presumably at similar 'feature' locations elsewhere in the product.

There are two main LOD schemes in operation. One is the ability to use
MIP-Mapped textures in scenery and objects, and the other is the mesh.  Meshes
are compiled with a given LOD, but if more than one is available for the same
area, FS2002 will use the most appropriate one for the viewing distance. It also
seems to have the capability to recalculate a lower LOD mesh from a higher one
by downsampling if necessary.

There's noticable popping not just of textures (especially with scenery), but
also of the mesh, which I personally find more disturbing.

Mally

---