Michael Basler writes:

 > That's well possible. That artifact is obviously not present in the original
 > data. It's just that all the stuff like rivers, roads etc. is systematically
 > shifted by 200 m or so. Quite annoying in narrow canyons. BTW, the Grand
 > Canyon and otehr US canyons do not suffer from this but, as I said, several
 > German valleys do.

If everything in MSFS is off by the same amount, then it may be a
problem with Microsoft's spheroid code (or lack thereof).  I know that
Norm did a lot of work to get the WGS84 stuff right in FlightGear, and
I'm amazed by how often roads and rivers *do* end up at the bottoms of
valleys and canyons, given the different resolutions of the data.

If everything in MSFS is off by different amounts (i.e. sometimes a
road is in the right place, sometimes it's 200m to the north, etc.)
then we're probably dealing with a resolution problem in the data.  I
think that vmap0 is nominally World Aeronautical Chart (WAC)
resolution, 1:1,000,000; things will be off by a couple of hundred
meters sometimes.

All the best,

David

--