Emilian

> On Sunday 11 December 2011 22:04:02 Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> > > Thanks for the offer. Will do.
> >
> > I've had a look, and I think I can change the code to create a single
> > PrimitiveSet for each cloud fairly easily.
> >
> > On thinking about this a bit more, one thing that I don't quite
> understand
> > is why the behaviour for clouds should differ so much from our random
> > vegetation.
> >
> > The random vegetation code we have is very similar - a small number
> > of geometries being used again and again. Yet, the performance is far,
> > far better, even with much higher numbers of objects.
> >
> > I had thought that the main difference was the use of transparency,
> > where the clouds are larger and generally more transparent than
> > the trees.
> >
> > If so, and the alpha blending of the textures has the most impact on
> > framerate, will changing the geometry help significantly? Or is it the
> > case that the transparency _within_ a geometry is much more effectively
> > handled by OSG than the transparency between different geometries?
> >
> > -Stuart
> >
> On a sidenote to this discussion, all cloud*.eff files force render bin
> 10,
> moving them back to render bin 9 (as they were before according to this:
> http://mapserver.flightgear.org/git/?p=fgdata;a=commitdiff;h=f94af651aecc6
> 3ea1989529f0114b28b4bcef48f
> and also to the setup in  simgear/scene/util/RenderConstants.hxx ) gives
> me
> back a lot of performance (roughly from 15fps to >30 fps with fair
> weather,
> and much less framedrop in cloudheavy configs with a 8600gt).
> Maybe there's some performance to be gained back from that too?

IIRC clouds were moved into bin 10 to improve appearance vis-à-vis
particles. If we put clouds back into bin 9 and particles remain in 10 all
the cooling towers, chimney efflux, aircraft contrails, exhausts etc. are
drawn after the clouds i.e, in front. Rather looks as if we can have realism
or framerate but not both.

At the time performance was not unduly hit - but I might be remembering
incorrectly.

Vivian

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011