Stuart,

On Monday, December 12, 2011 14:38:37 Vivian Meazza wrote:
> IIRC clouds were moved into bin 10 to improve appearance vis-à-vis
> particles. If we put clouds back into bin 9 and particles remain in 10 all
> the cooling towers, chimney efflux, aircraft contrails, exhausts etc. are
> drawn after the clouds i.e, in front. Rather looks as if we can have
> realism or framerate but not both.

Hmm, If I change the renderbin to 9 and instantiate a non sorted one, I am
still draw limited here.
Also If I look at the application runtime profile I see functions dominating
that happen during draw in the driver. There is no sorting function high in
profiles.
May be OpenGL drivers that draw faster are depth sorting limited. But being
draw limited this is what I can see here.

But, the question is how many cloud drawables do we have? The render Bin
sorting bottleneck - if we run into this - is O(log(n)*n) with the n= number
depth sorted drawables. Which means we need to have a huge amount of cloud
drawables that this effect dominates.

Ok, looking into the Cloud drawable implementation, I believe that your almost
first response is probably the easiest. Just without point sprites, just
improoving what is currently done:
Try to put that multiple draws into a single draw using array objects.
Make sure that you still get a 'fast drawable'. YOu can verify this by asking
the geometry if osg::Geometry::areFastPathsUsed() returns true. That is
mostly: do not use any index arrays. The only indices which may be worthwhile
are the indexed primitives sets.
Sorting inside the drawable is then done by either redoing the arrays or
probably better by using an indexed primitive set and reordering the indices.

Greetings

Mathias