When I've seen the bits of pixels on the very edges of the transparent tree
areas it has sure looked like a texture wrapping issue to me.  This is a
flag you can turn on/off at least at the low level of opengl and I'm sure
OSG would expose this.

Basically the bits at the very top of the tree probably line up nicely with
the bits at the bottom.  You want this when you are tiling textures and
mipmapping together to avoid seeing the seams, but with billboard textures
you probably want to turn this off, and it especially stands out with
transparent textures.

Regards,

Curt.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Stuart Buchanan <stuar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
> >> Definitely looks like it.   Could you provide some further details on
> >> this please:
> >> a) Where are you seeing this ?
> >> b) which materials file (dds ? regions? )
> >> c) Have you deleted the Textures.high file to use lower resolution
> >> textures?  The
> >> trees in the screenshot look even more blocky than normal.
> >
> > After fresh pull yesterday, I can confirm the issue.
> >
> > a) Caribbean and French Alps so far
> > b) using regional definitions
> > c) no - just tried out of the box
>
> I spent some time last night trying to repro this without much
> success.  There is an issue with the very nice Caribbean texture
> (Textures.high/Trees/tropical-alt.png) which I've got a fix for, but
> other than that The only time I saw anything like what Vivian and you
> have reported is at very very long range where I can just make out a
> "hat" if I look carefully enough.
>
> This makes me think that this might be something to do with the way
> that our graphics cards are generating the mipmaps.  Do either of you
> see the same issue with dds textures?
>
> I also went through all the tree textures to check that there weren't
> overlaps on the boundaries, and in all cases except as noted above,
> there's at least a 1 pixel gap above the top of the UV map.  I could
> push a speculative fix setting the UV map for trees to a maximum
> height of 0.24 rather than 0.25 and see if that makes a difference,
> but it feels very much like a workaround.
>
> Any other ideas would be most welcome, as at the moment I'm a bit
> stumped as to how to fix this.
>
> -Stuart

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/