Stuart

 That works - the hat artefact is gone. If I look very carefully I can see a
vertical artefact emanating from the centre top of some trees.

I hadn't realised that the high res texture was going to be quite so big.
Texture sizes > 4096 px are not so well supported.

I wonder if you wouldn't be better disabling mipmapping for trees - it seems
to be the source of all the problems? In particular, the different grazing
angle on the crossing panels means that different mipmaps will be used.

Vivian