Stuart

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
> >> Definitely looks like it.   Could you provide some further details on
> >> this please:
> >> a) Where are you seeing this ?
> >> b) which materials file (dds ? regions? )
> >> c) Have you deleted the Textures.high file to use lower resolution
> >> textures?  The trees in the screenshot look even more blocky than
> >> normal.
> >
> > After fresh pull yesterday, I can confirm the issue.
> >
> > a) Caribbean and French Alps so far
> > b) using regional definitions
> > c) no - just tried out of the box
>
> I spent some time last night trying to repro this without much success.
There
> is an issue with the very nice Caribbean texture
> (Textures.high/Trees/tropical-alt.png) which I've got a fix for, but other
than
> that The only time I saw anything like what Vivian and you have reported
is at
> very very long range where I can just make out a "hat" if I look carefully
> enough.
>
> This makes me think that this might be something to do with the way that
> our graphics cards are generating the mipmaps.  Do either of you see the
> same issue with dds textures?
>
> I also went through all the tree textures to check that there weren't
overlaps
> on the boundaries, and in all cases except as noted above, there's at
least a 1
> pixel gap above the top of the UV map.  I could push a speculative fix
setting
> the UV map for trees to a maximum height of 0.24 rather than 0.25 and see
if
> that makes a difference, but it feels very much like a workaround.
>
> Any other ideas would be most welcome, as at the moment I'm a bit
> stumped as to how to fix this.

I'm using a very recent pull of fgdata with no local mods. The "hat effect"
shows up from low angles in all material modes - regional/global/dds. It's
most apparent at EGMH, but can also be seen at KSFO. At higher angles or if
I zoom in it disappears from the closer trees - but, like you, I can still
see it at longer ranges. The angle/range effect would suggest that it's a
mipmap thing - perhaps try a bit more space around the trees in the texture?

I would give you some screenshots - but that's broken here.

Vivian