Hi Vivian,

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Vivian Meazza wrote:
>  That works - the hat artefact is gone. If I look very carefully I can see a
> vertical artefact emanating from the centre top of some trees.
>
> I hadn't realised that the high res texture was going to be quite so big.
> Texture sizes > 4096 px are not so well supported.
>
> I wonder if you wouldn't be better disabling mipmapping for trees - it seems
> to be the source of all the problems? In particular, the different grazing
> angle on the crossing panels means that different mipmaps will be used.

I can't disable mipmapping AFAIK, but I spent some time looking at the effects
source code and found an undocumented (well, not in README.effects) option
to control how the mipmaps are generated for each of the RGB and alpha
channels.*

So, it would appear that I can generate a mipmap where the alpha value is taken
as the minimum of the surrounding pixels while the RGB values are
created normally.

I need to experiment some more with it later in the week, but I may have found a
way to use a more square texture without artifacts.  It should also
resolve the artifact
you mention above.

In passing I noticed that both your and some of Thorsten's screenshots
show a nasty
black outline around some of the trees.  I don't see that myself except,
but I've also got a fix for that issue.  As mentioned on the forum,
the problem is that the
completely transparent pixels have an RGB value of 0,0,0, so mipmaps
and interpolations
cause this to bleed into the surrounding edges.

-Stuart

* Kudos to Tim Moore for exposing this - who would have thought we
could control how
the mipmap of a texture is generated on a per-channel basis through XML? :)