> Just to make that point clear: ENTER always should open the submenu,
> whereas SELECT selects the
> first choice in the submenu. In that sense you only need ENTER, but SELECT
> is a handy short cut.

Right, now that is a VERY useful piece of information, understanding the
intended behavior behind the buttons should make life easier.

> By the way, the wiki (http://doc.freevo.org/Lirc) claims that you need
> only 8 buttons, that are
> essential for freevo: LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, SELECT, ENTER, EXIT, DISPLAY

It's good that in theory you only need 8 buttons, still not quite enough
for the apple remote, but good and when combined with the
MENU_ARROW_NAVIGATION=True option should make things a lot nicer.

> I do NOT want to stop that discussion! I just want to make the current
> navigation concept clearer...

That's great, making things clear is a "good thing".

Maybe one day I'll have some spare time to sit down and have a good think
about how the control scheme could be cleaner but impending first baby
makes that unlikely anytime soon ;)