Well you all know me, so no surprise:  Kubuntu, either 8.04, or 8.10 would
be my recommendation.  Either of these distros will run nicely on low-end
(~$399) laptops, or the higher-end machines as well.  You can get an Acer or
Compaq laptop with 2 GB ram, DVD burner, wireless g and ~120 GB disk for
around $400.

You can also get an Intel dual core Dell with Ubuntu preinstalled for about
$550:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwpl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=segtopic~linux_3x

--Doug

--