> Well, my trusty Dell laptop HD has probebly died giving me an opportunity
> to upgrade to the next best thing.  The next best thing must still be a
> laptop, runs Apache, MySQL and PHP, GIMP and screams, for minimum bucks,
> for all round office use and web development. Is it a MacOSX, Windows
> XP/Vista or Linux?  Any thoughts to put in my note to Santa would be
> greatly appreciated.

"Minimum bucks" might indicate leaning towards the bargain PC or PC
laptop. However, at $999 the closeout white Macbooks are (IMHO) quite nice
machines.  With $80 for VMWare Fusion you can run multiple OS's (Windows,
Linux x64, etc.). Alternatively with rEFIt you could have multiple OS's
natively (Solaris even) through a boot menu. Having used a white Macbook
that runs OS X and Windows XP SP2, Ubuntu 7.x (32-bit), Ubuntu x64 (v.
8.04) since February 2008 I prefer the Macbook to any of the laptops I've
used recently (Dell D820, Thinkpad, etc.).  There is also the VirtualBox
option for a hypervisor and multiple OS's.

I agree that the desktops offer better price/performance ratio....a
comparable iMac or desktop PC presents better specs for less $$$.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm about to build the second desktop
around a Tyan S2925A2NRF low-end server mainboard, the first of which has
been in service at a business for year, and functioned flawlessly as a
Linux desktop before being re-purposed, now (in someone else's hands) a
Windows desktop.  You could build a pretty nice desktop machine quite
affordably starting with something like this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231149

-Nick