On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Douglas Roberts <d...@parrot-farm.net>wrote:

> Well you all know me, so no surprise:  Kubuntu, either 8.04, or 8.10 would
> be my recommendation.  Either of these distros will run nicely on low-end
> (~$399) laptops, or the higher-end machines as well.  You can get an Acer or
> Compaq laptop with 2 GB ram, DVD burner, wireless g and ~120 GB disk for
> around $400.
>
> You can also get an Intel dual core Dell with Ubuntu preinstalled for about
> $550:
>

> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwpl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=segtopic~linux_3x<http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwpl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=segtopic%7Elinux_3x>

At the other end of the spectrum, I just spent $1800 to get a thinkpad x200
tablet, and it also runs Ubuntu 8.10 out of the box.  Some tweaks were
needed, but nothing like the nvidia driver odyssey and intel wireless
runaround my last Dell sent me off on.  And it's lighter, runs cooler,
longer battery life, and all round feels better built than Dell.

The trick with Lenovo turned out to be to find the models it builds in
volume for VAR's and buy one of them at the VAR price rather than
customizing.

-- rec --