> I'll see your VMWare and raise it with a *free* Sun VirtualBox.  I dropped
> all of my VMWare licenses a few months ago and switched over completely to
> VirtualBox.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>
> Sun's VB is much faster, more flexible, and more full featured for what I
> need to do with a VM.

Having recalled a similar conversation some months ago, I'll confess that
I installed VirtualBox on a Dell D820 under Linux 8.04 (x_64) with very
poor results.  However, I fully acknowledge that I didn't evaluate Virtual
box on different x_64 hardware nor a different version/distribution of the
OS (Linux or Solaris), due to $work and a lack of time for further
experimentation.  Until I (or anyone for that matter) have time to test
the performance of VirtualBox on various x_64 Linux platforms, I can only
attest to the notably excellent performance of VMWare Fusion on OS X
10.5.x for running 32-bit Windows virtual machines and both 32/64 bit
Linux vms. Windows XP SP2 and your average 32-bit Linux distro (e.g.
Gentoo) ran reasonably well on an AMD am2 x_64 hardware platform under
VMware Workstation 5.x.  Having had performance issues with versions of
Windows XP on a Dell D820 under VMWare Workstation 6.x, I am beginning to
suspect the particular Dell hardware and/or the behavior of said hardware
with the graphics Ubuntu codebase/libraries.

The point of this is that Virtualbox may be an entirely acceptable and
performance-oriented hypervisor, notable for its support of more OS's
(Solaris), but VMware is not a bad choice for those willing to pay the
reasonable price of admission ($80 for VMware Fusion for OS X or $100+ for
VMWare workstation for Linux.  My last point being that VMWware
workstation relies heavily on GTK and issuing a standard version of the
VMWare workstation product for Linux is something of a challenge due to
GTK (1.x, 2.x, etc.) variations on a per distribution basis.

For those building a box as Doug suggests, I'd say try VirtualBox before
shelling out for a VMware workstation license, and if the results are
positive, why not pursue the open source free VirtualBox option prior to
the commercial product?  Virtualization certainly offers a
platform/computing versatility that is very appealing for people with
diverse application needs.

However, for some people features such as snap-shotting and cloning of
VM's may be significant features.  I'm not advocating for the commercial
product (VMware) over the open source one (VirtualBox), but I think Mendel
Rosenblum and Co. have a reasonable product worth purchasing under certain
circumstances.  All of this notwithstanding, I work primarily in a Sun
shop (NCGR) and from that perspective VirtualBox deserves every (if not
preferred) consideration.

-Nick