On Nov 3, 2003, at 2:27 PM, David M. Ensteness wrote:

Maybe I misread him but I got the impression he was talking about unsolicited e-mail of an offensive nature, not off list e-mail in general, but if you want to overreact, go ahead, most of the discussion on these lists is one person overreacting to another.

And at least two of us thing Laurent is overreacting. Just because I send an off-list off-topic email to one list member does not mean I'm spamming. If it turns into an off-list flame-war between myself and the listmember, then that's my problem and I can deal with it. We're all grown ups, and none of us runs to our mother when we have personal problems. Likewise I don't think we need to run to the listmom or nannies to take care of our problems. If you've got someone sending you disturbing emails, you've got options you can take on your own.

-ignore them
-block the address/filter it to the trash

We aren't powerless, and it isn't as if it takes too much effort to do. Takes less effort to ignore or filter the offensive messages to the trash than it does to complain to the listmom/nannies about a message sent only to you.

Listmoms and nannies have better things to do, and enough work as it is without policing our offlist messages. In any case, they should not be involved in them anyway. Fight your own battles.

Hamlin