At 2:40 PM -0800 03/11/03, Steve wrote:
This list is a good, open forum. I've been on several of Dan's lists
(and others) for many years now, and frankly, this one is one of the
most enjoyable. I particularly liked the recipe for black-eyed peas
that showed a while back - great example of an on-topic post that
generated a bizarre, but fun, off-topic thread.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. Thanks to you there's a chance to derail this thread. I just happen to have a recipe for a really kick-butt corn bread. Check it out.

- web

----------------------

Jalapeņo Corn Bread

This is a fantastic recipe. The result is a meal in pan. If you like
cornbread this will wake up your tastebuds like no other you've ever
eaten. (If you're not partial to hot food, just decrease the number
of jalapeņos or leave them out altogether.)

2 1/2 cups of yellow cornmeal
1 cup of bread or all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of non-fat dry milk
3 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups of warm water (105 -  115 F)
1/2 cup of cooking oil
1 x 10 oz. can of cream-style corn (see note below)
1 x 16 oz. can of corn niblets
6 to 8 fresh jalapeņo chili peppers, chopped (if you find it too hot,
core and seed some or all of the peppers)
2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese (old or extra old)
1 large onion, chopped fine

Note: I usually buy the smaller can of creamed corn (10 oz.) which is
a few ounces less than the 16 ounces called for. I make up the
difference using regular corn niblets. This seems to work well and
the bread is a bit less moist. Using all creamed corn makes it too
soggy for my taste.
Grease two 9"x9" baking pans (or use teflon coated ones) and set
aside. Preheat the oven to 375 F. If you use glass pans or if your
oven is too hot, you will likely burn the cornbread unless you reduce
the temperature to 350 F.

In a large bowl stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt,
baking powder, and milk powder. In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs
and stir in the warm water and oil. Pour the liquid mixture into the
cornmeal mix and stir in the corn, chopped peppers, cheese, and
grated onion. Add the cheese a bit at a time and stir it in between
additions or it will clump together.
Pour the batter into the baking pans and spread evenly with a rubber
spatula or a wooden spoon.

Bake until the bread tests done, about 50 minutes, and a wooden
toothpick or metal skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. I
find that the cooking time depends on the oven and the pans, so test
regularly after the first 45 minutes. This bread burns easily, so you
have to watch it closely.

Remove the bread from the oven and let the pans cool on metal racks
for a while before cutting it into serving pieces. Butter and eat. A
glass of white wine goes very well with this cornbread.