Nice to know the reason why behind all that. I figured it was reasonable but I never understood the logic behind.

David

Here are a couple of reasons why. When a replacement is shipped and the
customer gets a new one, the old/damaged optical drive has to be sent back
to Apple as a dead core, they in turn send it back for a partial refund from
the manufacturer of the part. You have 7 days to get it back to Apple in
Elk Grove California. Now let's say that the shop gave him his optical
module back during this repair so he could use it. Then on the 15th of
November the shop gets his brand new one in from Apple. They have until the
22nd to get the dead core back. What happens if this customer is ...