-- "Here is where the problem arises.  That module is about $330 with a core
return.  It costs $790 without one. "

I think you are more accurately describing Apple's problem in the first
place - $790 for a slim dvd 2x-6x ???
I don't dispute your facts, I suspect that any computer company that
installs 'heavy use and wear' devices costing a third of the orginal sticker
price of the whole laptop would want to recoup those costs at the expense of
the customer, not their own piggybank. There is your bad Apple... they
should have found a bottom dollar price from a reputable optical drive
manufacturer for replacement units and shovelled them out like candy so
everyone has a working dvd drive under AppleCare and will continue to enjoy
their post-warranty Apple purchase when they buy replacement drives for
$75...

I just thought the pricing was absurd enough to comment about. Thanks.

stein