The best way to time your mac purchase is to purchase refurbished or discontinued computers from the Apple store or Small Dog or others. For example, they have periodically (last weekend) had 800mhz emacs for $500+ dollars because they are both discontinued and refurbished.

There are some discontinued ebooks floating around really cheap and there is a big sale on 1.8G5s right now.

There won't be any G5 powerbooks until the get the energy usage under control. However, a rumor mill I read stated that motorola has come out with a 1.25+Ghz G4 that comes in 20 watt and 10 watt varieties!! If that is the case, then there might be a dual G4 powerbook.

In my mind, the confusing thing is the video cards. Apple is selling several video cards with their various machines.

Oh--and another thing--don't forget to get Applecare. It really matters with a powerbook. They will repair stuff they really shouldn't --and if you don't get it, they won't even answer the phone for warrantee work.

As for Dell, my wife got a brand new Dell last summer at work. It was the worst piece of garbage I've ever seen. It had a nice monitor, but the cursor didn't work- and the only thing you ever saw on the screen was the hourglass. It was total garbage.

My 2.5 year old 550powerbook continues to be a total joy to use--mostly because of Applecare--and partly because I ignore the articles benchmarking the dual G5.