Way to go, by switching to Mac.  I was in the PC world for a while
and have NEVER looked back.  You will be utterly stoked with Panther.
 By far the rockingest OS on the planet.

That's a tough call, get a Mac now and enjoy it (the new G4's are
pretty sweet), or wait for the G5 PowerBook?  I have an old powerbook
and a new G5 dual 2ghz.  Let me tell you the G5 flat out rocks.  The
thought of a G5 in a powerbook is way cool.

I wouldn't worry about the first generation of a G5 powerbook.  Apple
puts out quality machines, especially now.  They are better than
ever.

As far guessing when the G5 powerbook will come out...who knows.  But
you could look at the release laps between PowerMacs and the
PowerBooks after the G3 was released and then the G4, and see if
there is any consistency.

As you may see, I'm in favor of waiting for the G5.  If you wait and
get one, get all the options you can have put inside it.  Pull out
all the stops, it makes it's edge in your computing last a lot
longer, and alot more fun!