On Mar 13, 2004, at 2:24 AM, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

I am currently planning to buy a 15" PB to replace my 4 year old
Dell Inspiron. I am trying to figure out how to time this purchase so
that I don't buy a Powerbook only to have a newer model come out a <insert
short time period here> later (which is what happened to me with the
Dell).

At least when you purchase a Mac, you can be assured that the PC's that come out for at least a year won't be better or faster than your Mac....

While I understand that there are no guarantees and Apple doesn't tell people when they are releasing new hardware, are there guidelines that I should consider (i.e. "Apple generally releases new hardware in <insert month here>")??

There is no guessing. Even the sales reps have no idea.....

I have seen some speculation about G5 PBs this year, but that
seems really optimistic IMO (not that MO counts for much). It seems worth
the wait to get the G5 since my current computer is still working
acceptably... but then I wonder about things like the first round of new
hardware and the potential for problems with them in general, battery
life, the fact that VirtualPC (which I will need for a few pieces of
proprietary software) doesn't yet work on the G5 (but hopefully will
soon?).

Go for the G4. I have a G3 Powerbook that runs VPC and WinXP better than the Dells at work that I installed it to be compatible with.....

Anyway, I am just looking for any advice folks might be able to give.

Go for it. You are losing time that could have been spent with your new Mac.... :))

--
Tim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/28/politics/campaign/28VIET.html?th>