I'm of the opposite opinion. When the PPC first went into a laptop (5300 series) there were problems. The first G4s, and later the first small G4s (12") had heat issues. Early models regardless of brand can have major issues, such as Apple's current iBook logic board repair program will indicate, while TiBook hinges are also rather famous.

The current G4 PowerBooks are 2nd generation products with the exception of the 15". My 12" G4 doesn't scald left palms the way the first models did.

I would recommend getting a current model, which are in the sweet spot of being 3 or 4 months since introduction, proven reliable and the recipients of recent price drops. My 12" 1GHz G4 hasn't crashed yet and feels as though it was built from a single block of aluminum.

Oh yeah, Panther is very nice. I too switched from Windows last month, and yes, there are many things that Panther does better than XP, while a few where it falls short. On the balance, I'd say Panther is slicker, but even on a fast G4 doesn't feel as fast as XP on fast PC hardware. Of course, my main reason for switching was the "virus a day" trend in the PC world, and the peace of mind that I get from using a (antivirus-protected) Mac is enough justification to switch on its own.

Andrew

--
"The lord's our shepherd says the psalm, but just in case....., WE'D BETTER GET A BOMB!"

© Tom Lehrer, 1965