Hi Tom.

that is the case about third party reviews, but equally I've noticed that reviews can vary a lot in quality.

Generally speaking, the main reasons people tend to write reviews are if they absolutely love, or absolutely hate something, thus a large quantity of reviews tend to be either universally negative or universally positive, if something is "okay" people are far less likely to review it.

this also means that people tend to either ultra praise good aspects or harp on about bad aspects quite extensively, which is again why i personally tend to take most reviews with a good pinch of salt, and with a review I would probably only be likely to get something if I really trusted the reviewer, and indeed if it was something in a catagory of games I already knew I liked.

Thus, king of dragon pass is an rpg stratogy game, but since I very much like that sort of game, I was more inclined to buy it just! on reviews. The same may not be true for other game types, since if someone gave a massive praising review to a sports, racing or arcade game, they may enjoy that genre of game more than I do and are thus far more likely to praise certain aspects, or dam others that wouldn't bother me.

Beware the grue!