On 9/13/05, Stu Teasdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 05:49:33PM -0400, michael chang wrote:
> > Ganglia 2.x.x something is in Debian -- maybe collaborate with people
> > there and see how many users use it (or don't use it).
>
> Hi there, I'm the ganglia maintainer in debian. I have a 3.0.1 package
> ready to go, but some fairly major licence issues with ganglia 3 mean
> that it'll never get past the ftpmasters and into the archive atm. As it
> stands there's a mix of GPL, LGPL, Artistic and the main BSD licenced
> code in there and many of these are simply not cross compatible.

Ah, the classic licence-interoperability issues; this would be the
problems arising from Debian now being a pure OS?  (I love Debian as a
whole, but this seems to be one of those
it-takes-forever-to-resolve-it-because-resolution-requires-talking
problems that happens to everyone.)

IANAL, but it seems that from a legal standpoint, we *do* have to
resolve this -- A) we have to choose a licences for Ganglia as a
whole, and then B) we have to remove code incompatable with this
licence and/or get it relicenced under Ganglia's new licence; and if
the code is removed, it must be later replaced under code compatable
with the licence (or just simply "miss" the functionality :( ).

I don't suppose we'd know what most of the existing code is licenced
under as a whole, would we?  (Ideally, that would seem to be the best
choice as a licence that we use...)

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents