On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 04:47:50PM -0400, michael chang wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Stu Teasdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:37:58PM -0400, michael chang wrote:
> > > I don't suppose we'd know what most of the existing code is licenced
> > > under as a whole, would we?  (Ideally, that would seem to be the best
> > > choice as a licence that we use...)
>
> I guess generally this would be up to Matt Massie and such, yes?

As primary author, yes, Matt's the guy who choses the licence, but where
individuyal source files have a specific named author/copyright holder
then the licence for that file is their responsibility.

> Did these license issues appear in 3.0.1, or are they older than that?
The gnet stuff exists in 2.5.7 iirc, though I've not looked at the
licencing issues in that version in detail.

> > There's also some Apache Softwware Licence stuff in there too which if
> > not acknowledged in the docs may constitute a licence breach.
> > lib/readdir.c is ASL v1.1. APR is ASL v2.0 but again I'm dynamically
> > linking that.
>
> Would this be solved by noting the authors in the docs?
It should be fine if it's explicitly noted in the COPYING file as I
understand it.

> > Debian are very anal about this stuff to ensure that their distribution
> > really is free, but it looks to me that as it stands, debian
> > notwithtanding, there are some major licence issues with the codebase in
> > it's current form, which may render it actually illegal to compile at
>
> Ouch.

The killer is the GPL code linked into libmetrics. AIUI there's no legal
way to use GPL code in a BSD licenced project, as there is no allowance
in GPL for "derivative works" to have anything other than a GPL licence.

This rather wrecks libmetrics, which is statically linked even in my
packages. The only real option is to pull
srclib/libmetrics/linux/fsusage.c and fsusage.h or get
the original author to relicence it. Given that the original author is
listed as the FSF I suspect this is unlikely to be possible :).

Stu