Sorry for the repost, I realized that I'd incorrectly labeled the
post a reply (re:) and thought some folks may have not seen it because
of that.  A quick update, POI is the #10 project on sourceforge this
morning.

Hi,

I'm writing, at the recommendation of Stefano Mazzocchi, in hopes of
drawing discussion and perhaps later a vote on the creation of a new
Jakarta subproject based on the POI project (http://poi.sourceforge.net
& http://sourcefoge.net/projects/poi).

The POI project consists of an API for reading and writing Microsoft's
OLE2 Compound Document Format, the format used in Microsoft Office for
Word and Excel documents, as well as ports of file formats based on
it.

Currently the project is composed into the following parts:

POIFS - the pure java port of OLE 2 Compound Document format and the
APIs for manipulating it.

HSSF - the pure java port of Microsoft's Excel 97 File format (BIFF8)
which is shared by all newer version of Excel as well.

HSSFSerializer - Cocoon2 Serializer for HSSF.  It uses the same XML tag
language as Gnumeric. [this will be donated and hosted in Cocoon]

HSSFGenerator - commencing. [this will be part of Cocoon as well]

HDF - commencing. A pure java port of Microsoft's Word 97 File Format
which is shared by newer versions of Word as well.

The POI project has been in development for just over 6 months.  The POI
project has gained a reasonably large user base and currently has four
listed developers and a few occasional contributers.  On any given day
it makes the front page on Sourceforge's most active projects. The POI
project will attract a larger development community once the Word port
begins.  However, the project admins (myself and Marc) will continue to
develop it until pried from our cold dead fingertips regardless of
anything.  We released a beta over the holidays and our 1.0 release
yesterday.

We started the project in order to provide the ability for Cocoon to
present information directly in Office formats and wanted to donate it
to Cocoon directly, but the potential benefits of POI encompass those of
Cocoon or xml.apache.org and we believe that many Jakarta subprojects
could potentially benefit from POI and it makes good "business sense"
for Apache as a whole.

Possible collaboration scenarios are Lucene indexing large quantities
of data in .doc and .xls files, Slide doing content management in a
corporate environment that necessitates DOC and XLS support, Turbine
doing content delivery in DOC XLS and content editing in DOC, XLS).

>From a personal standpoint, its the most fun thing I've worked on in a
great while.  Microsoft creates great brain teasers!  While I don't
think the project will ever be "finished" (there will always be a minor
enhancement or detail to be worked out), it is already very useful.

Thoughts?

Happy New Year,

-Andy

vote.