Like Geir, it's not clear to me why this is a better fit for
jakarta.apache.org rather than xml.apache.org.

I believe XML has the same basic criterion for a sub-project proposal as
Jakart does. Our requirements for a proposal are here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/management.html

Personally, I would not cast a positive vote for a sub-project unless a
minimum of three developers (or committers) for a product are part of
the proposal. If there are only three committers, I would expect that at
least one of these to already an active member of an ASF project.

-Ted.

"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> Sorry for the repost, I realized that I'd incorrectly labeled the
> post a reply (re:) and thought some folks may have not seen it because
> of that.  A quick update, POI is the #10 project on sourceforge this
> morning.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing, at the recommendation of Stefano Mazzocchi, in hopes of
> drawing discussion and perhaps later a vote on the creation of a new
> Jakarta subproject based on the POI project (http://poi.sourceforge.net
> & http://sourcefoge.net/projects/poi).
>
> The POI project consists of an API for reading and writing Microsoft's
> OLE2 Compound Document Format, the format used in Microsoft Office for
> Word and Excel documents, as well as ports of file formats based on
> it.
>
> Currently the project is composed into the following parts:
>
> POIFS - the pure java port of OLE 2 Compound Document format and the
> APIs for manipulating it.
>
> HSSF - the pure java port of Microsoft's Excel 97 File format (BIFF8)
> which is shared by all newer version of Excel as well.
>
> HSSFSerializer - Cocoon2 Serializer for HSSF.  It uses the same XML tag
> language as Gnumeric. [this will be donated and hosted in Cocoon]
>
> HSSFGenerator - commencing. [this will be part of Cocoon as well]
>
> HDF - commencing. A pure java port of Microsoft's Word 97 File Format
> which is shared by newer versions of Word as well.
>
> The POI project has been in development for just over 6 months.  The POI
> project has gained a reasonably large user base and currently has four
> listed developers and a few occasional contributers.  On any given day
> it makes the front page on Sourceforge's most active projects. The POI
> project will attract a larger development community once the Word port
> begins.  However, the project admins (myself and Marc) will continue to
> develop it until pried from our cold dead fingertips regardless of
> anything.  We released a beta over the holidays and our 1.0 release
> yesterday.
>
> We started the project in order to provide the ability for Cocoon to
> present information directly in Office formats and wanted to donate it
> to Cocoon directly, but the potential benefits of POI encompass those of
> Cocoon or xml.apache.org and we believe that many Jakarta subprojects
> could potentially benefit from POI and it makes good "business sense"
> for Apache as a whole.
>
> Possible collaboration scenarios are Lucene indexing large quantities
> of data in .doc and .xls files, Slide doing content management in a
> corporate environment that necessitates DOC and XLS support, Turbine
> doing content delivery in DOC XLS and content editing in DOC, XLS).
>
> >From a personal standpoint, its the most fun thing I've worked on in a
> great while.  Microsoft creates great brain teasers!  While I don't
> think the project will ever be "finished" (there will always be a minor
> [...]

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/