on 1/2/02 12:27 PM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> True.  However, because the vision for the project involves and would
> benefit both directly and indirectly several existing Apache projects, I
> feel it would be easier to collaborate if POI was a Jakarta project.
> The project will of course continue to succeed regardless of that.

I'm sure your project would benefit more than just ASF projects though.

> Excuse the phrasing I was attempting to be concise while getting the
> following point across:  I see this project as potentially being of
> great benefit to both Jakarta developers and users.  By "business sense"
> I mean to say that greater collaboration would make it possible for
> developers to select a Apache-based solution where they might presently
> have to use proprietary technologies.  This could expand the user base
> for the projects I mentioned as well as some of the xml.apache.org
> projects.

Actually, I personally think that your project is contrary to ASF principles
in that it allows/encourages people to use proprietary closed source M$
products. Of course ignoring M$ doesn't make it go away, so I'm sure that
some people would like to use your product...

> Yes I did.  The guidelines lay out how to propose/approve a project,
> they do not seem to preclude proposing that members/commiters look at
> the project, comment and consider a possibly supporting a proposal.

here is the paragraph...

It is required that at least 2 active developers be actively working on the
project. According to the unratified proposal guidelines, it is preferred
but not required that at least one PMC member be a Committer to a new
subproject. Think of this as being similar to bringing a new baby into a
household. You want to be sure that it will be supported by its parents.

My personal PMC vote is strongly in favor of having a PMC member be a
committer. While this isn't a requirement from the PMC, it is a requirement
of my personal PMC vote.

> My apologies if I've gone about that the wrong way.  What would you
> suggest is the more appropriate way to do so?

I never said you went about anything the wrong way and I told you what you
need to do in order to get my personal approval.

I'm also a bit surprised/disappointed that no other PMC members have
commented...leaving me to be the one who has to say something *again*. I
guess discussion about code formatting is taking up everyone's time/energy.
:-)

-jon