>It sounds like your project is plenty successful where it is.

True.  However, because the vision for the project involves and would
benefit both directly and indirectly several existing Apache projects, I
feel it would be easier to collaborate if POI was a Jakarta project.
The project will of course continue to succeed regardless of that.

>> it makes good "business sense" for Apache as a whole.

>Luckily Apache isn't a business, it is a non-profit volunteer
>organization.

Excuse the phrasing I was attempting to be concise while getting the
following point across:  I see this project as potentially being of
great benefit to both Jakarta developers and users.  By "business sense"
I mean to say that greater collaboration would make it possible for
developers to select a Apache-based solution where they might presently
have to use proprietary technologies.  This could expand the user base
for the projects I mentioned as well as some of the xml.apache.org
projects.

>I don't see any convincing reason to bring POI to Jakarta, unless I see
>that
>you have a Jakarta PMC member champion your cause. Stefano's
>recommendation
>to you isn't enough, he or someone else needs to be a committer and
>interested in working and overseeing your project.

I see.  Thank you, for taking the time to consider the prospect and
provide feedback.

>Did you read:
>
>    <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html>
>
>-jon

Yes I did.  The guidelines lay out how to propose/approve a project,
they do not seem to preclude proposing that members/commiters look at
the project, comment and consider a possibly supporting a proposal.

My apologies if I've gone about that the wrong way.  What would you
suggest is the more appropriate way to do so?

-Andy

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh