William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 16/6/24 07:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>> > I still don't understand the efi thing.  I'm booted up tho.  I'm
>> happy.
>> > Now to get temp sensors and stuff to work.  I want to keep a eye on
>> > temps for a bit.  I think the boot media was reporting the wrong info.
>> > Even the ambient temp was to high for this cool room.  It showed like
>> > 100F or something when my A/C is set to 68F or so.  Plus, the side is
>> > off the case at times.  New battle.  ;-)
>> >
>> > Dale
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Hi Dale,
>>    Congrats on getting your new machine working. I think you've received
>> a lot of good info on temperature effects but there is one thing I
>> didn't
>> see anyone talking about so I'll mention it here. (Note - my career was
>> chip design in Silicon Valley so I'm speaking from experience in both
>> chips and PCs that use them.
>>
>>    First, don't worry too much about high temperatures hurting your
>> processor or the chips in the system. They can stand up to 70C
>> pretty much forever and 100C for long periods of time. Long before
>> anything would get damaged at the chip level, if it ever gets damaged,
>> you are going to have timing problems that would either cause the
>> system to crash, corrupt data, or both, so temps are important
>> but it won't be damage to the processor. (Assuming it's a good
>> chip that meets all specs and is well tested which I'm sure yours
>> is.
>>
>>    The thing I think you should be aware of is that long-term high
>> temps, while they don't hurt the processor, can very possibly degrade
>> the thermal paste that is between your processor or M.2 chips
>> and their heat sinks & fans. Thermal paste can and will degrade
>> of time and high temps make it degrade faster so the temps you
>> see today may not be the same as what you see 2 or 3 years from
>> now.
>>
>>    Now, the fun part. I wrote you a little Python program which on
>> my system is called Dales_Loop.py. This program has 3
>> parameters - a value to count to, the number of cores to be used,
>> and a timeout value to stop the program. Using a program like
>> this can give you repeatable results. I use btop in a second
>> terminal to watch individual core temps As provided it will
>> loop 1,000,000 on 4 cores in parallel. When it finishes the
>> count it will start another process and count again. It will
>> do this for 30 seconds and then stop. When finished it will
>> tell you how many processes it ran over the complete test.
>>
>>    If you wanted to do other things inside the loop, like floating
>> point math or things that would stress the machine in other
>> ways you can add that to the subroutine.
>>
>>    Anyway, you can start with 4 cores, up the time value
>> to run the test longer, up the count value to run each
>> process longer, and most fun, raise the number of cores
> [...]

That's the plan.  I'm still installing KDE in bits.  I'm going through
the meta packages right now.  That gives it heating and cooling cycles
which helps heat up the thermal grease but doesn't heat it up for very
long periods.  Tomorrow maybe, I'll use stress to really heat it up.  30
minutes with all cores and threads should stir up something.  :/

My complaint, the temps sensors is reporting is way higher than my IR
thermometer says.  Even what I think is the ambient temp is way off.
I've googled and others report the same thing.  During one compile, I
pointed the IR sensor right at the base of the CPU cooler.  It may not
be as hot as the CPU is but it is closer than anything else.  I measured
like 80F or something while sensors was reporting above 140F or so.  I
can see a little difference but not that much.  Besides, for the wattage
the CPU uses, the cooler I have is waaaaaay overkill.  I think my cooler
is rated well above 200 watts.  The CPU is around 100 watts, 105 I think
or maybe 95.  Plus, this room is fairly cold.  A/C currently set to
68F.  One can dispute the CPU temp I guess but not the ambient temp.  If
one is off, I suspect both are off.  Oh, the CPU fan isn't spinning fast
either.  I'd guess it isn't even running at half speed even when
compiling and htop shows all cores/threads at the max.

My current rig runs a lot cooler and uses more power if I recall
correctly.  I don't think the CPU cooler is as large as the one in the
new rig either.  Everything points that the sensors is just not
reporting the correct temps on any of it.

I found the kernel drivers for the temp sensors and compiled them in.  I
need to reboot tho.  Maybe then it will work correctly.  Maybe it is
using a incorrect driver that reports data but the data is off accuracy
wise.  I'm also hoping it will show the CPU fan rpms.  That there tells
a lot.  If the CPU is really hot, that fan should be spinning like
crazy.  If it is running at half speed, then it isn't that hot.  The
mobo tends to know the temp, one way or another.

Time will tell.

Oh, this thing is a fair amount faster.  The big thing tho, it is newer
and less likely to let the smoke out.  I depend heavily on my current
rig.  It's not just surfing the web, it's watching TV, which is about
24/7 here.  I have it on for noise if nothing else.  It's on when I
sleep as well.  I plan to share speed data with some of those websites
that compare speeds.  I haven't figured out which ones or how yet tho.
I want to let it get burned in a bit first.

So far, I like it.  Of course, it is bare right now.  It's not as fast
as the original build I'm sure but it works well.  Once I get everything
working and installed, I'll move my hard drives over.  That's like 8 or
9 drives I think.

Dale

:-)  :-)