On Sunday, 16 June 2024 05:55:45 BST Dale wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
> > On 16/6/24 07:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >> <SNIP>

> >> happy.

The side panel should help improve air flow through the case (depending on the
design).  I've seen CPU temperatures on big tower servers with dual xeon CPUs
going up when the side panel was removed.

> >> <SNIP>
> >>
> >> Hi Dale,
> >>    Congrats on getting your new machine working. I think you've received
> >> a lot of good info on temperature effects but there is one thing I
> >> didn't
> >> see anyone talking about so I'll mention it here. (Note - my career was
> >> chip design in Silicon Valley so I'm speaking from experience in both
> >> chips and PCs that use them.
> >>
> >>    First, don't worry too much about high temperatures hurting your
> >> processor or the chips in the system. They can stand up to 70C
> >> pretty much forever and 100C for long periods of time. Long before
> >> anything would get damaged at the chip level, if it ever gets damaged,
> >> you are going to have timing problems that would either cause the
> >> system to crash, corrupt data, or both, so temps are important
> >> but it won't be damage to the processor. (Assuming it's a good
> >> chip that meets all specs and is well tested which I'm sure yours
> >> is.
> >>
> >>    The thing I think you should be aware of is that long-term high
> >> temps, while they don't hurt the processor, can very possibly degrade
> >> the thermal paste that is between your processor or M.2 chips
> >> and their heat sinks & fans. Thermal paste can and will degrade
> >> of time and high temps make it degrade faster so the temps you
> >> see today may not be the same as what you see 2 or 3 years from
> >> now.

It used to be the case the thermal paste would dry out and needed replacing
within 5 years or so.  These days the top end thermal paste lasts longer and
it is much more expensive, but I'm yet to find out how long it lasts.  ;-)

> >>    Now, the fun part. I wrote you a little Python program which on
[snip ...]

> My complaint, the temps sensors is reporting is way higher than my IR
> thermometer says.  Even what I think is the ambient temp is way off.
> I've googled and others report the same thing.  During one compile, I
> pointed the IR sensor right at the base of the CPU cooler.  It may not
> be as hot as the CPU is but it is closer than anything else.  I measured
> like 80F or something

That's approximating the TCase, but you're still not close enough to measure
that temperature.  You'd need to delid the CPU for this ... definitely NOT
recommended.

> while sensors was reporting above 140F or so.

That's the TjMax and for your 5800X CPU this is comfortably within the TjMax
temperature of 194°F (90°C):

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/5000-series/amd-ryzen-7-5800x.html#product-specs

> can see a little difference but not that much.  Besides, for the wattage
> the CPU uses, the cooler I have is waaaaaay overkill.  I think my cooler
> is rated well above 200 watts.  The CPU is around 100 watts, 105 I think
> or maybe 95.

105W - see link above.

> Plus, this room is fairly cold.  A/C currently set to
> 68F.  One can dispute the CPU temp I guess but not the ambient temp.  If
> one is off, I suspect both are off.

Not necessarily - where is the ambient temperature sensor located?

> Oh, the CPU fan isn't spinning fast
> either.  I'd guess it isn't even running at half speed even when
> compiling and htop shows all cores/threads at the max.

Your UEFI (BIOS) menu should have settings for tweaking the fans and changing
their cooling profile to make them quieter, or spin them up sooner.  Start
with default settings and tune it up/down from there to match your needs.