Wols Lists wrote:

>> The side panel should help improve air flow through the case
>> (depending on the
>> design).  I've seen CPU temperatures on big tower servers with dual
>> xeon CPUs
>> going up when the side panel was removed.
>
> My previous case had a cone connecting the CPU to a vent in the side.
> Whether that sucked warm case air over the CPU and vented it directly
> out, or sucked cool outside air over the CPU and vented it into the
> case, I don't know. Either way, the air flowing over the CPU was
> outside the case just before or after doing so.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I've seen factory puters have a duct thing that goes from the CPU fan to
the rear of the case also.  That way the heat from the CPU is never
vented inside the case.  I've also seen a few that are like you
mentioned.  I kinda liked the ones that remove the CPU heat from the
case to the rear myself.  That helps keep the other components cooler
since the heat from the CPU isn't released into the case.

A lot of case makers use different tactics to control heat.  To me tho,
the best is a fan on the top of the case.  Every case that I've had that
had top fans ran cooler.  Heat wants to rise anyway so it's natural for
heat to go to the top.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I really like a side
fan as well.  They keep the mobo cool by providing fresh air to
everything from the video card to other components on the mobo.  When I
remove the side from my Cooler Master, the one thing that really gets
affected, the video card.

I think most case makers really put thought into cooling.  They want the
flashy crap to sadly but regardless of looks, cooling has to be a very
high priority.  Some come up with some inventive ways to do it.

Dale

:-)  :-)